How to style a plaid coat?
Fabrics and check prints have been the common thread of these recent fashion seasons. They were already going crazy last fall winter, but then the trend continued with blazers and trousers in spring and summer fabrics; last autumn we saw a great return of Scottish plaid prints, but also check coats and check trench coats and jackets in classic grey/black and black and white patterns.
I searched a long time for a coat I liked, but in the first phase of winter I was not very lucky. At the sales, finally, I finally found this one by pure chance from Nuna Lie and immediately bought it.
I’ve worn it a lot since then, using it in various ways.
So how to style a plaid coat to make the most of its potential before the end of winter?
Here is the list of my favorite ways to style a plaid coat in grey or black&white:
- over a simple total black, but also a total white.
- over a pair of simple skinny jeans, maybe short ankle-length and worn with biker boots.
- combined with garments and accessories in the “minority” colour, the one less present in the checked pattern: in this case it’s red, which I repeated in my outfit with a small red cross body bag, but also with a red blouse or red earrings sometimes.
- Since it is a “rough” and opaque fabric, I like it very much worn in contrast with bright details in the colors of steel and silver: in these photos, for example, I styled the plaid coat with a pair of silver metal and grey Swarovski crystals earrings, which in my opinion contrast well with the gray-ish fabric of the coat.
- With black leather or imitation leather: for example, over a pair of skinny pants or leggings in black faux leather and a simple black (or white) blouse or sweater
What about you? Do you like plaid coats and jackets? Will you wear them this spring too?
Do you speak Italian? 🙂
If yes, have a look at my new Style and Wardrobe Management E-Course! It will show you step by step how to transform your wardrobe in a small luxury boutique and create many fantastic new outfits that suit you and your style!
Want to declutter your wardrobe the right way and learn how to look expensive for less?
The Chic Factor, my bestselling book (in Italian only) about decluttering, style and shopping, is here!
Sign up now for free access to my media library, where you can find a collection of fashion, beauty, wellness and shopping guides (in Italian only, sorry)!
By registering you get exclusive and free access to 8 MINI GUIDES + all the material that will be published in the future!
Simply enter your first name and e-mail address and you will receive a weekly newsletter with the latest news. Of course, your data will remain absolutely anonymous and secure.