How to dress for the heat?
What to wear when the temperatures are getting higher and higher?
For me, this year the heat and the really extreme temperatures are not only a generic everyday problem (I’m really suffering in very hot climates!), but especially a wardrobe problem. I realized, in fact, that I didn’t have the right things to dress for the heat in my wardrobe, and I ran for cover, buying some new items of clothing, such as the maxi leopard dress in very light cotton that you see in these pictures.
And by the way: if you also need lighter and more summery clothes, I suggest you avoid going to brick-and-mortar shops now. Because online, in fact, you can still find the complete sales and a lot of choice without even leaving your home!
If you want to shop online for the summer and save a lot of money, download my online shopping guide HERE. It’s absolutely free (it’s only in Italian, sorry for that!).
But what rules should be followed when the thermometer reaches new highs? How to dress for the heat to stay cool all day?
Here are some rules that are always valid to beat the heat and stay cool even in the middle of summer:
- Opt for lightweight fabrics, preferably in natural fibers. Even if you make some concessions to synthetic fibers during the year (sometimes you can find cute garments made even in polyester!), in summer you should really try to avoid them. Natural fibers are not only breathable, they also avoid the horrible “tent” effect when it’s hot outside and keep you much fresher.
- Do you love total black, like me? In summer, when it’s very hot, just wear it in the evening. Because light-colored clothes keep you much cooler, with perceived temperature differences of several degrees when you stay in the sun!
- Choose fluid lines: the trick, when it is very hot, is not so much to wear as little fabric as possible, but rather to avoid that it stays too close to the body. In short, it’s better to wear a longer skirt or a maxi dress, but with the fluid and fluttering line, than a micro dress or shorts that will remain stuck to your body, making you sweat.
- If you like them, adopt a nice hat. But, even here, choose your hat absolutely in a light color!
- Protect your eyes with a nice pair of sunglasses: not only will they give you a trendy look, but they will avoid you to squeeze your eyes often. Go retro, expression wrinkles!
- Avoid lined garments. They are evil when it’s very hot. Moreover, if you follow the advice to choose fluid lines, the linings are not really necessary.
WHAT I’M WEARING TO BEAT THE HEAT:
What about you? Do you still have any gaps in your summer wardrobe? Or have you already found the right pieces to complete your summer outfits?
Do you speak Italian?
If yes, have a look at my new Style and Wardrobe Management E-Course! It will show you step by step how to transform your wardrobe in a small luxury boutique and create many fantastic new outfits that suit you and your style!
Want to declutter your wardrobe the right way and learn how to look expensive for less?
The Chic Factor, my bestselling book (in Italian only) about decluttering, style and shopping, is here!
Sign up now for free access to my media library, where you find a collection of fashion, beauty, wellness and shopping guides (in Italian only)!
By registering you get exclusive and free access to 8 MINI GUIDES + all the material that will be published in the future!