As we move into a new year it’s time to start giving up a few things. Because it’s not like making Lenten promises where you give something up for 40 days and 40 nights and hope for the best, but it’s about giving up things that are not bringing anything good into your life.
These are the bad habits, the addictive habits, to feel like they are unbreakable habits.
Approval seeking, arguing, addictions, none of these things are doing anything good for you, they are bad habits and they need to be broken.
You can break an addiction to smoking with the help of Delta 8 Vapes and you can speak to a psychiatrist to break an addiction to food. 2023 is the year of breaking up those bad habits and leaving them behind.
So, here are some of the bad habits you could be breaking this year if you really put your mind to it.
- Arguing. It’s one of the dumbest things that you could possibly do because arguing with most people is like arguing with a brick wall. When you argue with somebody it’s because you’re trying to get your point across, but most people who are already arguing with you are closed minded and will refuse to listen to reason. Why waste your energy? All it’s going to achieve is anger and frustration on your part as they refuse to listen to you, so instead of putting yourself through that, make it this year that you don’t do it.
- Seeking approval. It’s a bad habit and most of us do it and you shouldn’t be ashamed that you do it, but you do need to change it. If you are somebody who would prefer everybody to like you, then maybe this is the year that you changed that. If you are somebody who has sought approval since childhood and you are eager to please other people, then it’s time you let that go. Why does it matter if people like you? Why does it matter if they approve of what you choose to do in your life? What matters isn’t what they think, what matters is what you think. Until you figure that out you’re going to struggle in this trap of seeking approval but you don’t have to be in that anymore. The fun thing about being a grown up is that you don’t have to justify your decisions to anybody because you are the person making those decisions. It’s time to embrace that.
- Lying to yourself. An awful habit that you might be hanging onto is lying to yourself. Whether you’re lying to yourself about how you feel about somebody or you are lying to yourself about how happy you are in your job, it’s time to stop lying and start embracing honesty. Everybody lies, we all know that, but lying to yourself is the worst part of lying. Instead, start talking yourself through situations. Start thinking about whether lying to yourself is serving anything for you and learn to embrace being a little bit blunt. Say no to things that don’t serve you anymore and say no to things that interrupt your peace. There’s no point in kidding yourself if all you’re going to do is hurt your own feelings.
- Letting other people make decisions for you. A good habit to start breaking this year is the habit you are in of making other people make decisions for you. You are a grown person with your own mind, nobody needs to be making any decisions for you because you are able to make them yourself. Instead of letting people do it, start thinking for yourself more often and embrace the decisions that you make. You are a small and independent person and it’s now time for you to step up and be that person for yourself. Nobody needs to tell you what to do, nobody needs to make decisions for you and you are able to embrace the world as it is as you see it.
- Addictive behavior. Is it shopping, smoking, or gambling that’s getting you down? Addiction is a bear of an illness and yes, it is an illness, whether it’s food you are addicted to or it’s shopping, addiction is very real and the way that you handle it is what’s most important. Seeking the help of a psychiatrist and really getting the help that you need is proof that you are ready to let those addictions go and live your life the way you want to live them. Don’t be afraid to do it though, if you’re afraid you’re never going to get anywhere because you’re going to be too scared to take the right step that you need to take.
- Procrastination. It’s the easiest habit to get into and the hardest habit to break. If you are sitting around knowing about all the things that you need to do but you’re not moving to get them done, then it’s time for a change. You need to stop procrastinating and start remembering that you are a force of nature if you want to be one. Sitting around and not getting things done is not going to serve you and it’s not going to help anybody in your life. Instead, you should want to do something amazing and that means putting down your phone, pulling yourself away from the TV and standing up to get it done. It’s a habit you need to get out of this year because there are so many amazing things you could be doing in life but instead you’re sitting around thinking about it! Stop thinking, start doing.
It’s not always easy to break bad habits but you can do it if you are considering it properly. If you have the willingness to break a bad habit then you will go for it and you will be able to make it happen. You just have to want to make it work.
Surround yourself with the right people who will encourage you and you’ll be habit free by 2024.